I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 27 January 2016

Thai Roast Chicken.



Thai Roast Chicken.

Serves 4.

Beautiful Thai flavours and it couldn't be more simple to make.

Equipment:
Deep oven tray.

Preparation :
-1.7kg free range chicken, 
remove the back bone, turn the chicken breast side up, press gently on the chicken to flatten it, score the flesh. 
Season with sea salt/pepper.

Put the chicken in the prepared tin, add
-2 lemongrass, bruised,
-4cm ginger, sliced,
-4 cloves of garlic, crushed,
-4-5 kaffir lime leaves,
-a small bunch of coriander, add seasoning,
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp light soy sauce,
-2tsp fish sauce,
-2tsp sesame oil,
-1tbsp vegetable oil.
Mix well to combine.
Leave to marinade at least 2 hours.

Oven 180c fan forced.

Cook around 1 hour.
Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment