I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 24 January 2016

Pork Kebabs.



Pork Kebabs.

Equipment:
Bamboo skewers soaked in water.

Preparation:
In a small frying pan, dry roast,
-1tsp cumin seeds,
-2tsp coriander seeds,
-1tsp black peppercorns,
-1/2 stick cinnamon.
Cook, stirring on low heat for around 3 minutes.
Use a spice grinder or pestle and mortar to grind to fine powder. Leave aside.

In a large bowl, put in.
-500g pork shoulder steaks, cut into 3cm chunks,
-2 peppers, cut into 3cm chunks,
-2 onions, quartered,
-1tsp paprika,
-1tsp cayenne pepper(adjust according to your taste)
-2tsp harissa paste,
-1tsp turmeric powder,
-roasts spice mix,
-1tbsp olive oil,
-sea salt.
Mix well to combine. Cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours to overnight.
Soak the skewers for at least 30 minutes before using.

Preheat the grill.

Skew the meat and the vegetables.

Cook 20-25 minutes. Turning twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment