I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 10 April 2016

Stir Fried Chilli Jam Clam with Holy Basil ผัดหอยแครง.



Stir Fried Chilli Jam Clam with Holy Basil ผัดหอยแครง.

This dish is definitely delicious but the minuscule clams are a little unsatisfactory. When I make this dish I make sure the sauce is very punchy and fragrant to stir through my rice and if I happen to get a piece of clam then it is an added bonus. The holy basil can be found in large supermarkets and they have such a distinctive Thai taste which seems to make everything delicious without the cook having to try very hard.

    Chilli Jam.
In a food processor, put in 
-2cm sliced ginger,
-2 shallots, 
-2 cloves garlic,
-5-6 sprig of coriander,
-4 chillies,
-2 tomatoes, quartered.
Pulse to combine.

In a large wok, fry
-chilli jam, until the vegetables are cooked through and fragrant, add
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp oyster sauce.
-2tbsp sugar,
-2tbsp balsamic vinegar.
Add
-1kg cleaned clams.
Stir to combine.
Cover with a lid.
Leave to cook, for a minute.
Stir and cover with a lid.
Repeat.
This should take long. It's done when the clams are open.
Stir through handful of holy basil.

Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Serve with rice and other dishes as this dish is not going to be very filling on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment