I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 22 April 2016

Cullen Skink


Cullen Skink.

Cullen Skink is a thick, creamy Scottish soup, the specialty of the town called Cullen. This is a rich, milky and creamy soup and as much as a cup of cream is added. I have made a much lighter version but it's still incredibly delicious. My father in law was wide eyed when he ate his first mouthful. I am serving the soup with a quick, fuss free but scrummy bread.

Serves 4.

In a large saucepan, put in
-20g butter, with
-200g chopped leeks,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring until the leeks have softened, add
-600g potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks, add
-1 litre water,
-2 bay leaves,
-1tbsp chopped parsley.
Bring up to the boil, add 
-600g smoked undyed haddock.
Cook the fish for a minute or so until cooked through.
Remove the fish from the saucepan.
Carry on cooking the soup until the potatoes are cooked through.

When the fish is cooled enough to handle,
Flake the fish and leave aside.

Once the potatoes are cooked.
Turn the heat off.
Use a hand blender to blitz the vegetables (I like chunky soups so I left some potato chunks whole).

Put the soup back on the heat, add
-haddock pieces,
-1tbsp chopped chives,
-2tbsp double cream (add more if you prefer).
Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Spoon into a serving bowl.
Serve with bread.

   For the bread.

Preheat oven 200c fan forced.

In a large bowl, put in
-200g self raising flour,
-1tsp baking powder,
-1tsp salt,
-200g chopped leeks,
-100g olives,
-100g grated cheddar cheese,
-1 whisked egg,
-1tsp whole grain mustard,
-80ml milk.
Mix well combine. It should be extremely sticky.

Spoon onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Shape into a rough 20cm disc.
Sprinkle on 50g grated cheddar.

Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment