I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 14 April 2016

Honey and Mustard Glazed Ham.


Honey and Mustard Glazed Ham.

Glazed hams shouldn't be just for Christmas, they are so easy and delicious and my go to dinner of choice when I can't decide what to cook. My glaze is normally something sweet and sometimes sweet and spicy. I have made a chilli jam glaze, jerk ham and this classic honey and mustard glazed ham.
Don't throw away the cooking liquid, I have a recipe to show you that needs the stock.

In a large stock pot, put in
-1kg gammon joint,
-2.5 litres of water (I will always cook with plenty of water and keep the cooking liquid as stock),
-2 carrots, cut into chunks,
-2 onions, halved,
-2 stalks celery, cut into chunks,
-1 star anise,
-1tsp peppercorns,
-1 cinnamon stick,
-10 cloves.
Bring up to the simmer and cook for 1 hour.
Leave the gammon joint to cool in the poaching liquid.

When cooled enough to handle,
Place the gammon joint in a roasting tin, add
-2tbsp honey,
-1tsp whole grain mustard.
Baste the gammon joint liberally with the glaze.

Bake in 180c fan forced oven for 45 minutes, basting every 10-15 minutes.
Leave to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment