I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 26 April 2016

Lime and Ginger Stir Fried Beef เนื้อผัดเปรี้ยว



Lime and Ginger Stir Fried Beef เนื้อผัดเปรี้ยว

A long forgotten Thai dish, I came across this whilst reading a Thai social website. The recipe uses salt as flavouring so I am guessing this is our authentic Thai dish, before Chinese sauces (soy sauce, oyster sauce) were introduced. I hope my Thai 'likers' will give this a go. You would never think salt on its own could be this delicious, soy sauce and oyster sauce have become ubiquitous. 

Serves 2.

Preparation:
In a large bowl, put in 
-400g thinly sliced beef (I used rump steak),
-1/2 lime juice.
Mix well and leave aside.

Dry roast 2tbsp peanuts. Leave aside.
Cut 6cm ginger into matchsticks.
Finely chopped 2 garlic cloves.
Slice 4 spring onions.
Slice 4 chillies (adjust according to your taste).

In a large wok, on high heat, with a tablespoon of oil, fry
-ginger and garlic,
Cook, stirring, for around 20 seconds, add
-beef,
-1tsp sea salt.
Stir fry until almost cooked through, add
-chillies,
-spring onions,
-peanuts.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
You may need more lime juice or salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment