I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 22 April 2016

Stem Ginger and Lemon Torte.



Stem Ginger and Lemon Torte.

This is my first time cooking with vegetable gelatine and it seems to have turned out well. The combination of flavours works out beautifully too, although they were what I found in my refrigerator and cupboard. I hope vegetarians who have never had jelly based desserts will be able to enjoy this one.

Equipment:
23cm Springform cake tin lined with baking parchment.

   For the base.
In a food processor, put in,
-300g digestive biscuits.
Process the biscuits until fine breadcrumbs form. Tip into a large bowl, add
-120g melted butter.
Stir well to combine. Press the mixture into the base of the tin. Refrigerate until needed.

   The stem ginger filling.
In a large saucepan, put in
-60g finely chopped stem ginger,
-1tbsp stem ginger syrup,
-250g mascarpone cheese,
-200ml double cream,
-150ml milk,
-120g caster sugar,
-6.5g vegetarian gelatine.
Cook, stirring constantly on medium-low heat until the gelatine has completely dissolved and the sauce has thickened and almost at boiling point.

Pour over the biscuit base.
Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Refrigerate for about an hour or until set.

When the stem ginger filling has set.
Make the lemon filling.
(Please do not make this until the first filling has set, otherwise your lemon filling will set in the pan)

   For the lemon filling.
In a large saucepan, put in
-150ml lemon juice,
-200ml milk,
-300ml double cream,
-180g caster sugar,
-6.5g vegetarian gelatine.
Cook stirring constantly on medium-low heat until the gelatine has completely dissolved and the sauce has thickened and almost at boiling point.

Pour the lemon filling over the set ginger filling.
Arrange 200g fresh blueberries on top (not essential, I happened to have some).

Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Refrigerate until set, around 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment