I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 13 April 2016

Braised Beef Short Ribs with Red Wine.


Braised Beef Short Ribs with Red Wine.

This is a perfect cut of meat to cope with big flavours and being slow cooked. Without much effort these beef short ribs are delicious, melting and comforting. This is a proper winter meal but in my opinion it's actually more appropriate to this time of year, the sun is out and you want to be in the garden with the girls and not worry much about dinner.

In a large casserole pan, brown 
-1kg beef short ribs, seasoned with salt/pepper, turning occasionally until the meat pieces are browned.
Remove from the pan and leave aside.

Wipe the pan clean, add
-2 onions, roughly chopped,
-2 carrots, cut into chunks,
-2 celery stalks, cut into chunks,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring until the vegetables have softened.
Add,
- beef ribs.
- 2x400g tinned tomatoes,
-400ml red wine,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-100g olives,
-parsley, rosemary, bay leaves.

Cook in 150c fan forced oven for about 3 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.
Turn the ribs half way through cooking.

Serve with pasta or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment