I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 5 April 2016

Pulled Pork Chilli Con Carne.


Pulled Pork Chilli Con Carne.

Another 10 minute recipe that delivers big on flavour. 

In an oven proof casserole dish, put in
-1.2kg pork leg, skin removed, with
-2 onions, quartered,
-3 cloves crushed garlic,
-2tbsp cumin seeds,
-1tsp ground ginger,
-a small bunch coriander,
-4 red chillies (adjust according to your taste)
-1tbsp paprika,
-1tbsp cayenne pepper (adjust according to your taste)
-1tbsp salt/pepper,
-2x400g tinned tomatoes,
-400ml water.

Cover with a lid.
Cook in 150c fan forced oven for around 5 hours.

After 2 hours, turn the pork.
After another 2 hours, add
-2x400g kidney beans, add
-1tbsp black treacle.
Put in the oven for another hour.
Shred the pork with 2 forks.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Serve with chips, mashed potatoes, jacket potatoes or rice and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment