I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 9 April 2016

Spring Rolls ปอเปี๊ยะทอด



Spring Rolls ปอเปี๊ยะทอด

These homemade spring rolls are delicious and taste very different from the shop bought and take away versions. I always find those soggy and lacking in taste. These are crispy, flavourful and addictive. They are very easy to make if you don't mind deep frying (my pet hate). The spring roll skins or pastry can be found in all oriental supermarkets (I actually got this batch from my local Tesco Extra!)


In a large bowl, put in
-100g dry vermicelli noodles, with
-cold water, enough to cover the noodles.
Leave to soak for 20 minutes.
When ready, drain and snip with scissors.

       Vegetables.
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-3 chopped spring onions,
-2 large Portobello mushrooms, finely chopped,
-2 carrots, slice into matchsticks,
-50g chopped cabbage.

In a large wok, fry
-500g mince pork,
Cook, stirring until the pork is almost cooked through, add
-vegetables,
-noodles.
Stir well to combine, add
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp sesame oil,
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-1tsp white pepper,
-pinch of salt.
Stir fry until the pork is cooked through.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Leave to cool completely.

This mixture makes 12 large spring roll.
I filled each 20x20cm piece with 80g of mixture.
Instead of a beaten egg the 'glue' used to seal the edges together is water and flour.
Mix 1tbsp of plain flour with 1tbsp of water.
The picture instructions on how to roll the spring rolls are on the packet and is probably more useful than me trying to explain.

Deep fry in 600ml vegetable oil in batches of 3.

Serve with herb and tomato chilli jam.

      Chilli Jam.
In a food processor, put in 
-2cm sliced ginger,
-2 shallots, 
-2 cloves garlic,
-5-6 sprig of coriander,
-4 chillies,
-2 tomatoes, quartered.
Pulse to combine.

Fry in a large frying pan on medium heat until the vegetables are cooked through, add
-1/2 cup of water,
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp oyster sauce.
-2tbsp sugar,
-2tbsp balsamic vinegar.
Leave to simmer until the sauce has thickened (stirring occasionally)



No comments:

Post a Comment