I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 22 April 2016

Slow Cooked Beef Madras.


Slow Cooked Beef Madras.

Another takeaway favourite to tempt you, Indian this time. I am very busy having a lot of fun so most of my recipes seem to be slow cooked at the moment. This recipe took 15-20 minutes to put together, leaving plenty of time to play with the girls. I have never cooked curry this way before but I would thoroughly recommend it. I have made a 5 minute bread to go with it too. Hope you'll make this lazy, delicious recipe.

Serves 4.

Equipment:
Deep ovenproof casserole dish.

Dry roast, 
-2tbsp cumin seeds,
-2tbsp coriander seeds,
-3 cloves,
-1tsp peppercorns,
-1 stick cinnamon,
-1tsp fennel seeds,
-1tsp fenugreek seeds,
-3 dry chillies (adjust according to your taste)
Grind the roasted spices in the spice grinder or pestle and mortar, leave aside.

In the casserole dish, fry
-1tsp mustard seeds, you should be able to hear them pop, add
-2tbsp chopped ginger,
-2 chopped onions,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-plenty of sea salt.
 Stir fry for about 2-3 minutes, add
-850g beef brisket, cut into 3 chunks, add
-ground spices, 
-1tsp turmeric powder.
 Stir to coat the meat in the spices then add,
-600g chopped fresh tomatoes,
-a handful of fresh coriander.
-4 fresh chopped chillies (adjust according to your taste), add
-200ml water. 
Stir together.
Cover with a lid.

Bake in 150c fan forced oven for around 3 hrs.

   Onion Bread.
In a large bowl, put in
-200g self raising flour,
-1tsp baking powder,
-1tsp salt,
-200g sliced onions,
-1 whisked egg,
-1tsp whole grain mustard,
-80ml milk,
-2tbsp olive oil.
Mix well to combine. It should be extremely sticky.

Spoon onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Shape into a rough rectangle 15x30cm.

Bake in 200c fan forced oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment