I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 23 April 2016

Ale Braised Beef Cheek.


Ale Braised Beef Cheek.

Continuing with recipes that are delicious but with minimal effort needed. I had made beef short ribs with red wine so I thought I would try beef cheek with ale. I have never tried ale in food or as a beverage. The taste, although delicious, was quite alien to me. I found it slightly bitter ( I had a huge portion regardless!). I think I will stick to wine and cider but if you like ale, give this a go.

Serves 4.

In a large ovenproof casserole pan, brown
-2x400g beef cheek pieces, seasoned with salt/pepper.
Turning occasionally until the meat pieces are browned.
Remove from the pan.
Wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper.

Put the pan back on the heat.
Add a little bit of vegetable oil.
Put in,
-2 onions, quartered,
-2 large carrots, cut into chunks,
-2 stalks celery, cut into chunks,
-2 clove whole garlic,
-300g sliced leeks,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the the vegetables have taken on colour. Add
-1tbsp plain flour.
Stir well, add
-500ml ale,
-beef pieces,
-300g sliced courgettes,
-parsley, bay leaves, rosemary.
Cover with a lid.

Bake in 150c fan forced oven for around 3 1/2 hours or until the meat pieces are melting and flaking.

Serve with smashed or mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment