I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 28 April 2016

Green Beef Curry แกงเขียวหวานเนื้อ


Green Beef Curry แกงเขียวหวานเนื้อ

Possibly the most well known Thai curry. From wok to stomach in less than 10 minutes.

In a large saucepan on low heat, fry 
-2tbsp green curry paste (this will give you a hot 🌶🌶🌶curry), with 
-2tbsp coconut milk,
Cook, stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, add
-the rest of the 400ml coconut milk (I don't think half fat coconut milk works..too watery),
Bring it up to a simmer, add
-500g thinly sliced beef (I used rump steak),
-225g bamboo shoots (not essential, I just happen to love them)
Leave to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the beef is cooked through.

Taste and adjust the seasoning, you may need fish sauce and a little pinch of sugar to balance out the spiciness.

Add 50g boiled sugar snap peas.
Add 50g boiled fine beans.

Serve with Jasmine Thai rice.

Note: I cooked my vegetables in a separate pot to the curry, the raw vegetables will change the flavour of the curry. I feel it's best to add vegetables just before serving.
This is, of course, purely personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment