I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Meringue Roulade with Peach Cream.



Meringue Roulade with Peach Cream.

I used the egg yolks in crème brûlées and was left with the whites. These eggs are from my friend's hens and I wanted to make something very special but easy with them. You would not believe how simple this recipe is.

Equipment:
23x33cm Swiss Roll Tin, lined with baking paper.

Oven 150c fan forced.

   Meringue.
Use an electric mixer, beat,
-6 egg whites, with
-1tsp Cream of Tartar,
-pinch of salt.
Beat until the egg whites are light and frothy, add
-300g caster sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
When all the sugar has been incorporated and the egg whites are at stiff peaks (you should be able to hold the mixture over your head)

Spoon into the prepared tin. 
Spread evenly.

Bake 30 minutes.
Leave to cool completely in the oven.

    Filling.

Drain 410g tinned peaches.

Use an electric mixer to beat,
-400ml double cream,
-2tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.

Once the meringue has cooled completely.
Spread the cream evenly.
Add peach slices.
With the long end facing you, use the baking paper to help, roll the meringue into a cylinder.
Serve with a simple raspberry sauce.

   Raspberry Sauce.
In a saucepan, on low heat, put in, 
-200g frozen raspberries,
-1tbsp caster sugar,
-2tbsp water.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the fruits have broken down.
Pass through a sieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment