I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 2 April 2016

Northeastern Curry แกงบวบ.



Northeastern Curry.

Northeastern Thailand or known locally as Esarn. Esarn is Thailand's largest and poorest region. The food reflects the region's way of life. Traditional Esarn food is healthy and punchy and is generally what you can gather from nature. Traditionally food would be grilled or boiled and never fried (anything that couldn't be gathered was a luxury). It's true that almost anything and everything is eaten from lizards to frogs but definitely not dogs or cats. Esarn now is very different to the one I spent my first 12 years in. There's a Tesco with a KFC 12 miles from the family farm, next door is a huge Toyota car dealership, as well as Ford and countless hotels and restaurants. Esarn is definitely not as it used to be.

This curry is my western version of what it'll back in Esarn. The protein will certainly not be scallops but chicken, frog or fresh water fish. I cook with ingredients available to me that share taste similarities with the authentic versions. I am ashamed to say I no longer eat a lot of proteins that seemed so normal growing up. I get teased quite a lot about being too Westernised.

In a large saucepan, put in
-800ml chicken stock,
-1 bruised lemongrass stalk,
-3 sliced shallots,
-3 sliced spring onions,
-3 sliced chillies.
Bring up to the boil, add
-600g marrow, peeled and cut into chunks,
-a small bunch of dill,
-a small bunch of coriander.
Leave to simmer until marrow chunks are cooked through.
Check for seasoning, you may need
-fish sauce, add
-250g scallops.
Cook for a minute. Turn the heat off.
Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment