I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 11 April 2016

Northeastern Herb Pot Roasted Guinea Fowl.



Northeastern Herb Pot Roasted Guinea Fowl ไก่นึ่ง

This region of Thailand is known for its spicy and healthy food. The herbs are grown almost by every house and they are used very liberally. Guinea fowls are gamier than chicken and I thought it would cope with big Thai flavours. The cooking liquid is so flavoursome so I think it's best that this dish is served with rice to soak up all that deliciousness.

In a large ovenproof casserole dish, put in
-1.2kg guinea fowl, seasoned with salt and pepper, with
-2 stalks bruised lemongrass,
-4 cloves crushed garlic,
-3cm sliced galangal,
-5-6 kaffir lime leaves,
-4 shallots, halved,
-2 spring onions, sliced in half,
-a small bunch coriander,
-5 red chillies,
-a handful of holy basil,
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp fish sauce,
-400ml chicken stock or water.

Leave to cook in 150c fan forced oven for 3 hours.
After 1:30hours turn the guinea fowl in the stock.

Serve with rice and stir fried vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment