I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 29 April 2016

Gyūdon (Beef Rice Bowl)




Gyūdon (Beef Rice Bowl)

After the strong and pungent flavours of the Hainanese Chicken Rice, we are moving further east to the island of the rising sun. Asian flavours vary greatly from the delicate and subtle flavours of Japanese cuisine to the fiery, taste bud tingling Thai of dishes. I hope you'll enjoy trying them out for yourself.

 Serves 2.

Preparation:
Dry roast 1tbsp sesame seeds.
1 large onion, finely sliced.
1 clove chopped garlic.
1tbsp chopped ginger.
400g thinly sliced beef steaks, seasoned with salt and pepper.
2 sliced spring onions.

In a large saucepan, add
-200ml chicken stock,
-2tbsp Mirin (or sherry),
-chopped ginger,
-chopped garlic,
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp dark soy sauce,
-1tsp sesame oil.
Bring the stock up to the boil, add
-sliced onions.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have softened, around 10 minutes, add
-beef.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is cooked through, add
-spring onions.

Taste and adjust the seasoning. You may need more soy sauce.

Spoon onto cooked rice.
Top with a fried egg.
Sprinkle over sesame seeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment