I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 10 April 2016

Baklava



Baklava.

Baklava are normally made from layers of filo pastry sandwiched together by mixed nuts. I thawed a large pack of spring roll skins and only used 12 out of 30, I didn't want to waste the remaining 18 so they went into these baklava. They seem to have worked very well which made me think that the spring rolls can be made with filo pastry. These are probably not very authentic but they are so delicious and nothing is wasted.

In a food processor, put in
-150g shelled pistachios, with
-150g flaked almonds.
Pulse to coarse crumbs.
Leave aside.

Melt 220g butter.

Cover the pastry with a damp tea towel as you work.

To assemble.
Place the first piece of pastry in a deep oven tray (the pastry is 20x20cm).
Brush with the melted butter.
Repeat until 9 sheets of pastry are used.
Spread the nut mixture evenly over the pastry.
Cover with a piece of pastry.
Brush with the melted butter.
Repeat until all the pastry sheets are used.

Cut into diamond shapes.

Bake in 180c fan forced oven for 45 minutes or in golden brown.
While you wait, make the sugar syrup.

In a saucepan, put in
-250g caster sugar, with
-250g water.
Leave to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by about a 1/3.
Leave aside.

When the baklava are cooked.
Leave to stand for 5 minutes before pouring the syrup liberally over the top.
Leave to stand for about 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment