I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 18 April 2016

Rhubarb Frangipane Tart.



Rhubarb Frangipane Tart.

The rhubarb was picked from the garden this morning, the first harvest of the year. I wanted to make something very special with them and frangipane tarts are always my go to, not least because I love them. It's very exciting to cook with ingredients found in your own garden. I am looking forward to my first raspberries, apples and gooseberries. Love this time of year.

Equipment:
22cm x 32 cm loose bottomed tart tin.

Oven at 200c.
Place 300g rhubarb chunks (5cm chunks) on a baking tray.
Sprinkle over 2tbsp brown sugar.
Bake 10 minutes.
Leave to cool.

    Sweet Pastry.
-300g plain flour.
-150g butter, chilled.
-1 egg
-2tbsp icing sugar.
Put the above ingredients in the food processor, process until a rough dough forms, if there are still a lot of dry crumbs left, add a little bit of water (1tbsp at a time)

Tip your dough onto a floured surface, roll out to fit the tart tin. Prick with a fork. Refrigerate 20 minutes.

      Frangipane Filling.
Use an electric mixer, beat together,
-250g butter,
-250g caster sugar,
-200g ground almonds,
-80g plain flour,
-5 eggs,
-1 tsp vanilla.
-pinch of salt, until well combined. Leave aside.

Oven 180c fan forced.
Bake the pastry for 20 minutes.

When pastry is ready, 
Spoon on frangipane filling, spread evenly.
Arrange the rhubarb pieces on top.

Bake 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment