I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 26 June 2016

Žemlovka



Žemlovka

Slovak bread and butter pudding with grated apples. My older daughter's school project is to research a country that's competing in Euro 2016. Part of the project is to make a traditional dish of that country. This is our version of žemlovka and it is delicious! The soft inside contrasts perfectly with the crispy top, perfect is made even more perfect with the sharp and sweet grated Bramley apples. This really is a must try recipe. My daughter is taking it into school and we don't want her to...

Preparation:
500g grated Bramley apples.

   The custard.
In a large bowl, put in
-6 eggs, with
-1tsp vanilla bean paste,
-150g caster sugar.
Whisk well to combine, add
-500ml double cream,
-800ml milk.
Whisk to combine and leave aside.

In a large deep oven proof dish, put in
-8 sliced croissants.
Pour over the custard.
Press lightly to submerge the croissants in the custard mixture.
Top with grated apples.
Leave to stand for 10 minutes.

Bake in 180c fan forced oven for 45 minutes.
Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Serve with double cream or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment