I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Braised Ginger Pork with Chilli Oil หมูอบขิงน้ำพริกเผา



Braised Ginger Pork with Chilli Oil หมูอบขิงน้ำพริกเผา

A warming spicy meal, definitely not overly hot. This dish is normally stir fried but today is not too hot so I thought I would pop everything in a casserole pan and stick in the oven. This is when laziness pays, the flavours are enhanced by the slow cooking process.

In a casserole pan, put in
-1kg pork leg,
-2 sliced onions,
-3 cloves crushed garlic,
-2 sliced peppers,
-5cm sliced ginger,
-150ml pork stock cube (or 150ml water with 1/2 pork stock cube),
-1tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp oyster sauce,
-1tbsp chilli oil.
Place in 150c fan forced oven for 3 hours.
(Turn the pork in the stock every 45 minutes or so).
Turn the oven off after 3 hours.
Leave the pork to cook in the residual heat for another 30 minutes.

Finish the pork off on the hob, add
-150g sliced chestnut mushrooms,
-3 sliced  spring onions,
-sliced chillies (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment