I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 7 June 2016

Chicken with Chilli Oil ไก่ผัดน้ำพริกเผา



Chicken with Chilli Oil ไก่ผัดน้ำพริกเผา

Don't let the name or the colour turn you off, this is not going to make you start breathing like a dragon. The dish is sweet, spicy, smoky, quick, easy and most importantly delicious (I actually had some chillies on the side as it wasn't hot enough for me). The sun is out, so quick and satisfying dishes are a must. This recipe works well with other proteins, prawns and pork are also popular. This chilli oil is the ingredient that gives Tom Yum Goong its colour. 
Thank you, as always, to my brother Jung and his partner Sean who must have sneaked the jar into my pantry.

   The vegetables.
1 sliced onion.
2 cloves chopped garlic.
1 sliced pepper.
1 carrots, cut into matchsticks.
100g sliced mushrooms.

   The Sauce.
1tbsp oyster sauce.
2tbsp soy sauce.
1/2tsp caster sugar.

   The Protein.
400g free range sliced chicken breast.

In a large wok, on high heat, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, add 
-the vegetables.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened, add
-the sauce.
Stir well to combine, add
-1tbsp chilli oil, add
-chicken 
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken pieces are cooked through.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Stir through 2 sliced spring onions.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment