I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 8 June 2016

Barbecue Ham Glaze.



Barbecue Ham Glaze.

To be fair it's too hot for glazed ham but when I struggle to come up with a meal that all 5 of us will and can eat, a meal that can look after itself, I always resort to glazed ham. I have been good and have not made the same glaze twice as of yet. As this is barbecue season I have come up with a barbecue sauce for the glaze. I think we all enjoyed it. Don't throw away the poaching liquid, I have a recipe to show you using the ham stock.


In a large stock pot, put in
-2.3 gammon joint, with
-3 litres water, 
-10-15 cloves,
-1tsp black peppercorns,
-1 cinnamon stick,
-2 star anise,
-1tsp coriander seeds,
-2 carrots, cut into chunks,
-2 stalks celery, cut into chunks,
-1 large onion, quartered.

Bring to the boil and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.
Cook for 2 hrs. Leave the ham to cool in the stock pot.

   Barbecue Sauce.

In a large saucepan, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry
-1 large sliced onion, with
-3 cloves chopped garlic,
Cook, stirring occasionally, on low heat until the vegetables have softened, add
-300g tomato sauce,
-200g soft brown sugar,
-200ml malt vinegar,
-1tbsp paprika,
-1tsp cayenne pepper (adjust according to your taste).
Leave to simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for around 15 minutes (180c fan forced oven)

When the ham is cooled enough to handle, 
-remove the fat, 
-score the skin.
Spread 2/3 of the glaze liberally over the ham.
Bake 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes.

Leave to rest for 15 minutes 
Serve with the remaining barbecue sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment