I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 2 June 2016

Chicken Pies.



Chicken Pies.

Last night I made steamed chicken for dinner but it didn't seem like anyone was hungry, perhaps they didn't enjoy it and so I was left with leftover chicken. I am trying a different tactic today and making something completely different with the uneaten chicken. I have mentioned before how forgiving this pastry is and that it is perfect for being roughly handled by children. The girls helped to make the pies, there was a LOT of rolling action going on and we still ended up with crispy chicken pies. I hope we will finish the pies as there's nothing else I can think of to turn them into...


   For the Pastry.
-450g strong white bread flour,
-pinch of salt
-100g chilled butter,
-100g lard,
-200ml cold water.
In a food processor, process to combine.
Tip on to work surface, bring to a rough dough with your hands, don't knead, refrigerate 20 minutes.

   Chicken Filling.
In a bowl, put in,
-550g cooked sliced chicken,
-150g chopped chestnut mushrooms,
-20g chopped chives,
-2tbsp chopped parsley,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-black pepper.
Mix well and divide into 8 portions.

When the pastry is ready....
Divide into 8 equal portions.
Roll out into 14x18cm rectangles.
Spoon on the chicken mixture.
Brush the edges with milk.
Fold over to seal the filling.
Crimp the edges with a fork.
Put on the prepared trays.
Score the top.
Brush with milk.

Bake 15 minutes at 220c fan forced.
Turn the oven down to 180c fan forced.
Bake 15 minutes.
Turn off the oven and leave the pasties to continue to cook in the residual heat for 10-15 minutes.
Cool on rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment