I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 23 June 2016

Chicken Noodle Soup ก๋วยเตี๋ยวไก่ตุ๋น



Chicken Noodle Soup ก๋วยเตี๋ยวไก่ตุ๋น

 I made some braised chicken in an aromatic five spice broth for dinner last night and this is its happy byproduct. The dark, deep stock is actually tastier and richer the day after as in the case of curries. I also have leftover chicken which I have shredded but you can certainly reuse the stock to poach any extra needed chicken. 
Noodle soup is a popular street food dish in Thailand and is eaten all day long, it has endless variations, from fresh meat to hot and sour. I prefer this version as I prefer meat slowed cook. The fresh meat version, where fresh meat is blanched in the stock for a minute or so before adding to the noodle bowl is favoured by my husband, is something I am not a fan of.
Thai noodle soups are open to interpretation, we get given a hot bowl of noodle soup and then we are let loose on the condiments. My little sister always asks to try mine to compare and I would try hers. My sister's noodle soups always taste like syrup. Of course she prefers hers and I prefer mine, hot, sour and spicy with a pinch of sugar and not 5 tablespoonfuls.

   Vegetables.
Finely sliced 2-3 spring onions.
A handful chopped coriander.
Sliced gem lettuce.
Bean sprouts.

   Condiments.
Finely chopped 5 cloves of garlic. Deep fry and leave aside.
Mix together 3 chopped chillies with 6tbsp malt vinegar.
Dry chillies flakes.
Fish sauce.
Sugar.

Shred leftover chicken.
Cook noodles according to packet instructions.

Bring the stock up to the boil.

   To assemble.
Place some cooked noodles in a serving bowl.
Add chicken.
Add vegetables.
Spoon over hot stock.
Add Condiments.


No comments:

Post a Comment