I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 27 June 2016

Chicken Gyoza.


Chicken Gyoza.

Using a very British leftover roast chicken into a very Japanese snack. Gyoza are Japanese dumplings very similar to Chinese pot stickers. They are first fried then steamed to end up with crispy crunchy bottom, contrasting perfectly with the soft top. The dipping sauce is very Japanese and very delicate, I had to fight my natural instincts to add chillies.

You will need 30 Gyoza wrappers (10cm)

   In a large bowl, put in
100g cooked cabbage, finely chopped.
3 spring onions, finely chopped,
1tbsp chopped ginger,
1tbsp chopped garlic,
1tbsp Mirin,
2tbsp soy sauce,
350g finely chopped cooked chicken (you can use raw chicken or pork mince).
Mix well to combine.

Place a teaspoon of filling in the middle of the pastry.
Brush the edges with water.
Fold into a semi circle and crimp the top.

Fry in batches in 1tbsp of vegetable oil until the bottoms have browned.
Add 50ml water.
Cover with a lid.
Leave to steam until the water has evaporated.
Serve with the dipping sauce.

   Dipping sauce.
In a bowl, put in
4tbsp very good soy sauce (Kikkoman is the absolute best),
1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment