I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 10 June 2016

Sweet and Sour Chicken เปรี้ยวหวานไก่กรอบ



Sweet and Sour Chicken เปรี้ยวหวานไก่กรอบ

It's Friday and another opportunity for me to come up with a takeaway recipe to tempt you and it doesn't get better or more popular than this famous dish. I have my own little twist to add to this classic recipe, using cider instead of water in the batter. I keep telling everyone I don't drink but I can't seem to stay away from booze when I cook! I think the sweet cider echoes the other sweet and sour elements perfectly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using water, of course, but if you want to rebel a little, cold sparkling water is good also. You will be able to get all the ingredients in supermarkets.
My husband said this was the best sweet and sour he has ever had.

Preparation:
500g sliced free range chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper.
Leave aside.

   For the batter,
In a large bowl, put in
-110g plain flour,
-20g cornflour,
-salt/pepper,
-150ml cold cider.
Whisk to combine.
Refrigerate until needed.

   The Vegetables.
-1tbsp chopped ginger,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-1 onion, cut into chunks,
-1 carrots, cut into chunks,
-1 pepper, cut into chunks,
-2 tomatoes, cut into chunks.

-2 sliced spring onions.
-400g pineapple chunks and juice.

   Sauce.
In a bowl, add
-1tsp cornflour,
-1tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp tomato sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tsp sesame oil,
-1tbsp caster sugar,
-2tbsp balsamic vinegar,
-pinch of salt/pepper.
Mix well and leave aside.

I don't own a deep fryer so I deep fry in my old saucepan. To this I add
-300ml vegetable oil.
Bring up to the frying temperature on medium heat (drop a piece of  chicken in to test the oil temperature)

Drop the chicken pieces in the batter.
Mix well to coat each piece.
Cook in small batches.
When the chicken has turned golden brown and cooked through, remove and drain well on kitchen paper.

In a large wok, on medium heat, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, stir fry
-the vegetables (not spring onions or pineapples)
Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, add
-the pineapple chunks and juice,
-the sauce.
Cook, stirring to coat the vegetables in the sauce. Leave to simmer for around 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Stir through cooked chicken.
Stir through sliced spring onions.

Serve with rice

No comments:

Post a Comment