I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 23 June 2016

Gooseberry and Pistachio Crumble.



Gooseberry and Pistachio Crumble.

These gooseberries have been freshly p(r)icked from the garden. I like gooseberries but they are not something I would seek out to eat. When I cook with ingredients that I am not that keen on I make sure the other elements really shine. In this case, the coconut and pistachio crumble. The delicious crumble smells amazing with beautiful nutty crunch and texture. The caramelised gooseberries aren't bad either.

Equipment:
Deep ovenproof dish.

   For the gooseberries.
In a large saucepan, put in
-1kg topped and tailed gooseberries, with
-150g dark brown sugar,
-1tsp ground ginger.
Cook, stirring occasionally, on medium heat until the gooseberries have broken down.
Spoon into the prepared tin and leave aside.

   For the crumble.
In a large saucepan, put in
-180g chopped butter,
-180g plain flour,
-120g caster sugar,
-50g rolled oats,
-50g desiccated coconut,
Cook, stirring occasionally, on low heat until the butter has melted.
Turn off the heat.
Stir through 50g chopped pistachios.
Spoon into the prepared tin.

Bake in 180c fan forced oven for 30 minutes.
Serve with double cream, ice- cream or some deliciously thick mascarpone.

No comments:

Post a Comment