I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 9 June 2016

Crispy Pork Belly หมูกรอบ.



Crispy Pork Belly หมูกรอบ.

I have great self control over my food, although there are a couple of exceptions in this self righteous boast, Macarons and crispy skinned food. I find it impossible to stop. My older daughter and I seem to share this love of everything crispy skinned. Luckily for us nobody else is keen so more for the greedy mum and daughter. 
One of the rite of passages in becoming a good cook in Thailand is to know how to cook a perfectly crispy skinned pork. Here's hoping I've passed with flying colours.
It's taken such hard work to get the skin crispy only for us to use it as a means to an end. Thais don't normally like the pure taste of meat and we are great at covering it in sauces as we feel the flavour is enhanced this way. So there's a picture of the crispy skinned being stir fried.

Preparation:
1.2kg pork belly, score the skin, season with salt/pepper.

In a large oven tray, put in,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-1tbsp sesame oil,
-1tbsp balsamic vinegar,
-4tbsp water,
-3cm sliced ginger,
-3 cloves crushed garlic,
-1 stick cinnamon,
-2 star anise,
-1tsp peppercorns.
Mix well, add
-pork belly.
Leave the pork to marinate, flesh sided own, for 45 minutes.

Bake in 150c fan forced for 1:30 hours.
Bake at 220c fan forced for 45-50 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
Place under a hot grill if you still haven't achieved the perfect crackling.

No comments:

Post a Comment