I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 1 March 2016

Scones.



Raspberry Scones (without Raspberries).

Makes 10.

These scones suffered serious wardrobe malfunction. They had gone into the oven before I realised the raspberries were still on the work surface

In a large bowl, put in
-480g self raising flour, with
-2tsp baking powder,
-pinch of salt, rub in
-100g chillies butter, until coarse breadcrumbs form, add
-284ml buttermilk,
-3tbsp milk.
Gently stir together.

Oven 200c fan forced.

Tip on to a floured surface.
Gently roll out to around 2cm in thickness.
Use a 7.5cm cookie cutter to stamp out 10 discs.
Place on 2 oven trays lined with baking paper.
Brush with milk.
Bake 15 minutes.

Cool completely on rack.

Serve with raspberry jam and cream.

       Cream filling.
Use an electric mixer, beat
-250g mascarpone cheese, with
-300ml double cream,
-2tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat to combine the ingredients. Refrigerate until needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment