I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 4 March 2016

Pad Thai ผัดไท.


Pad Thai.

In 1939 the Thai Prime Minister, Phibulsongkhram, changed the name of our country from Siam to Thailand. Phibulsongkhram promoted Pad Thai in his campaign to establish nationalism and wanted to rid Thailand of Chinese influence. The dish used rice noodles instead of wheat noddles, pork was not used as it was considered Chinese. Phibulsongkhram wanted Thailand to be more Westernised, I hope I have done him proud by using tomato ketchup in my Pad Thai.
(As I was cooking it, one of my daughters commented that 'it smells like Thailand AND America in here').

Serves 6.

In a large bowl, put in
-450g dried rice noodles, add
-cold water.
Leave to soak for around 20 minutes.

When you are ready.

In a large wok, put in
-2-3tbsp chicken stock,
-3tbsp tomato ketchup,
-2tsp tamarind purée, 
Stir well to combine, add
-400g tofu, cut into chunks.
Cook, stirring for a minute or so, add
-noddles.
Stir to combine the ingredients, add
-150ml chicken stock.
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp fish sauce.
Cover with a lid, leave for a minute.
Add 300g bean sprouts.
Stir and cover with the lid. Repeat until the noodles are almost cooked through.
Add 200g raw prawns.
Stir frying until the prawns are cooked through.

 At the same time
In a separate pan, fry
-2 whisked eggs.
When cooled enough to handle. Chop into long strands and add to the noodles.

Serve with dried chilli flakes, crushed peanuts, fish sauce, spring onions, lime and fresh chillies.


No comments:

Post a Comment