I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 21 March 2016

(Never Mind) 5 A Day Bake.




(Never Mind) 5 A Day Bake.

My latest vegetarian recipe contains 7 different types of herbs and vegetables. I had it for lunch with my father in law, who doesn't eat broccoli, he ate this bake and ENJOYED it. I loved it too. It's nutritious and delicious.


In a large frying pan, fry
-300g chopped leeks, with
-300g sliced mushrooms,
-2 cloves chopped garlic,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring until the leeks and mushrooms are cooked through and caramelised. Add,
-400g spinach.
Stir through until wilted.
Drain well through a sieve.

In a large non stick oven dish (please don't line your baking tray, you may not achieve the lovely, smoky and crispy bottom), put in
-500g blanched broccoli, roughly chopped,
-500g cooked frozen peas,
-the cooked vegetables,
-2tbsp chopped parsley,
-70g breadcrumbs,
-3 whisked eggs,
-salt/pepper,
-a good grating of nutmeg,
Stir well to combine.
Spread evenly on the base of the tray.
Sprinkle over 100g grated cheese.

Bake in 200c fan forced oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment