I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 13 March 2016

Thai Seafood Red Curry แกงเผ็ดรวมมิตรทะเล.


Thai Seafood Red Curry.

Serves 2-3.

After yesterday's roast beef dinner, although I loved it, this spicy delicious curry is what I needed.
I am never without my Thai curry pastes so this curry took roughly 15 minutes to make. I make about 1kg of curry paste at a time and it lasts for months. The recipe for both the red and green curry pastes are on CCC.

In a large saucepan on low heat, fry 
-2tbsp red curry paste (this will give you a hot 🌶🌶🌶curry), with 
-2tbsp coconut milk,
Cook, stirring until the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, add
-the rest of the 400ml coconut milk (I don't think half fat coconut milk works..too watery),
-100ml chicken stock.
Bring it up to a simmer, add
-200g cod,
-200g salmon,
Leave to simmer for 5 minutes or until the fish is almost cooked through, add
-150g raw prawns,
-150g cooked mussels.
Leave to simmer for a couple of minutes until the fish are cooked.
Taste and adjust the seasoning, you may need fish sauce and a little pinch of sugar to balance out the spiciness.
Add 100g boiled sugar snap peas.

Note: I cooked my vegetables in a separate pot to the curry, the raw vegetables will change the flavour of the curry. I feel it's best to add vegetables just before serving.
This s is, of course, purely personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment