I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 14 March 2016

Jerk Pulled Pork Sloppy Joe with Sesame Buns.




Jerk Pulled Pork Sloppy Joe with Sesame Buns.

This is probably totally wrong, traditional cooking method of jerk pork or chicken is barbecued or roasted. I was planning to have roast pork for dinner, but as I was preparing, I realised I didn't want another roast dinner. I came across some Allspice and decided on Jerk pork. At the same time a burger advert was on TV, and I wanted a burger, so I decided on a pulled pork recipe. I hope I am not going to be crucified by my Jamaican friends. Just in case you are curious, it tastes (as one of my friends likes to say) blooming marvellous.

In a large casserole pan, fry
-4 sliced medium onions, with
-4 cloves, chopped garlic,
-3 inch, finely, sliced ginger, 
-chopped chillies, (adjust to your own taste, I used 6 fiery Thai chillies), add
-plenty of sea salt / black pepper.
-2 tsp Allspice,
-1 tsp  ground cinnamon,
-herbs-bay leaves
           -thyme
           -Rosemary 
           -parsley.
Cook, stirring on low-medium heat until the onions have caramelised, then add
-1.2kg pork leg (because it was a roasting joint, I removed the skin and cooked that separately).
Coat the pork in the spices, add
-1/2 cup rum,
-2 tbsp soy sauce,
-juice and zest of 1 large lime,
-1 preserved lemon (optional).
-500ml chicken stock,
-500ml water.
Cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is flaking, add more liquid if you need to).
When the meat is flaking and falling apart, turn the heat up high to get rid of excess liquid(only if you have any left, I didn't).
Serve with burger buns and salsa.

    Salsa.
In a food processor, put in
-400g tinned tomatoes,
-3 cloves garlic,
-4 shallots,
-4 chillies (adjust according to your taste),
-a small bunch coriander,
-juice of 1 lime,
-1tsp salt,
-1tsp sugar,
Process to combine. 
Pour into a bowl.The  flavours improve the longer you leave it to sit.

            Sesame Buns.
Makes 10

Preparation.
-250ml lukewarm water.
-2tbsp caster sugar.
-150ml milk.
-1tbsp dried yeast.
Stir all the ingredients together and leave aside for 10 minutes.

-110g butter, melted, leave aside.
-1egg+1 egg yolk, whisked, leave aside.

In a large bowl, put in
-800g Strong white flour,
-2tsp salt, mix well.
Make a well in the centre. 
Add
-yeast mixture,
-melted butter,
-whisked eggs.
Bring the mixture together with your hand to form a rough dough, it will be quite sticky.
On a floured surface knead the dough for around 5 minutes until it's elastic and smooth. Press your thumb on the dough and if it's ready it'll spring back.

Put in a greased bowl and leave it somewhere warm for 1 1/2hrs.

When ready gently knock back the dough and divide into 10 equal portions (around 140g each)
Shape each portion into a rough 8cm disc
Place the dough on to an oven tray lined baking paper, leave a 2cm gap between each dough. 
Cover with greased cling film and leave to prove for around 1 hr (the buns should be touching but if they don't that's ok too).

Preheat oven to 180c fan forced for 10 minutes.

When ready, brush the buns with
-reserved egg white, beaten with
-1tbsp of milk.
Sprinkle on some sesame seeds.

Bake 15-20 minutes, until,golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment