I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 17 March 2016

Spaghetti Meatballs.


Spaghetti Meatballs.

One of my daughters turned 9 today and she's asked for spaghetti and meatballs or cottage pie for dinner. I made her some cottage pie for yesterday's dinner and this for today's dinner.

Serves 6.

     For the meatballs.
In a large bowl,put in 
-1.2kg pork mince, with
-1tsp sea salt,
-2tbsp spy sauce,
-pepper.
Gently bring all the ingredients together.
Roll tablespoonfuls between the palms of your hands. Refrigerate until needed.

    For the tomato sauce.
In a large saucepan, fry
-1 chopped onion, with
-3 cloves garlic,
-2 stalks celery, cut into chunks,
-2 carrots, cut into chunks,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring until the onions have softened, add
-2tbsp tomato purée,
-3x400g tinned plum tomatoes,
-400ml water,
-80g olives,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-parsley,
-bay leaves.
Leave to simmer for around 45 minutes until the sauce has thickened.

Brown the meatballs on all sides. They don't need to be cooked through.
Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce.
Leave to simmer for around 10-15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment