I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 18 March 2016

Peter Pan.



Peter Pan.

This is my daughter's second birthday cake, this one is to celebrate with us and her best friend.
I've called it Peter Pan, the encased cake reminds me of the secret magical Neverland. The partially opened gate is to tell us that we (the grown ups) are not welcome and are only allowed a sneaky peek. I hope the photograhy shows that this is meant to be an aerial view of Neverland and it's what the Lost Boys would see when they fly home. Plus, I called the cake Peter Pan as I hope when we look at it we'll wish we'd never grown up.

Equipment:
2x20cm square cake tins.
Or
2x20cm springform cake tins.

For the cake.
Use an electric mixer, beat
-250g butter, at room temperature,
-300g self raising flour,
-300g caster sugar,
-2tsp baking powder,
-5 eggs,
-3tbsp milk,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste,
-pinch of salt.
Beat to combine the ingredients.

Spoon into the prepared tins.

Oven 180s fan forced.

Bake 25-30 minutes, skewer should come out clean.

Leave to cool completely in the cooking tins.

      For the cream filling.
Use an electric mixer, beat
-600ml double cream,
-3tbsp icing sugar,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Beat together until the cream just holds its shape. Refrigerate until needed.


To assemble.
Place the first layer of cake on a serving plate.
Spoon on 100g raspberry jam. Spread evenly.
Place the second cake layer on top.
Encase the cake tower with the cream.
Press chocolate matchsticks on the sides of the cake.
Fill the centre with your choice of goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment