I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 28 March 2016

Canned Fish Curry แกงปลากระป๋อง.




Canned Fish Curry.

When disasters strike, people in Thailand will get given instant noodles, canned fish and water as rations. Instant noodles and canned fish have become synonymous with low paid labourers, students and those living outside Thailand. Thai people are great cooks and resourceful. I really believe that being able to cook is in our genes (especially those at the lower reaches of society, those at the top tend to have housekeeper/cook) and will almost always make beautiful food out of the most undesirable products. This dish is exactly that, the curry is cheap, delicious and wonderfully aromatic and, with the added rice noddles, most importantly filling (although I can't claim my curry to be economical as the imported herbs and spices are rather expensive).

Serves 2.

In a large bowl, add
-100g rice noodles, add
-hot water.
Leave to soak.

In a large saucepan, put in
-300ml water or chicken stock, add
-1 stalk bruised lemongrass,
-3-4 lime leaves,
-a small bunch coriander,
-4-5 sliced chillies,
-3-4 sliced shallots,
Bring up to the boil and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes to infuse the flavours, add
-400g canned pilchards, add
-50g sliced sugar snap peas.
 
Drain the noodles and add to the curry.

Stir gently to combine.
Leave to simmer until noodles are cooked through.

To taste:
Fish sauce.

Serve with rice and a Thai omelette.

No comments:

Post a Comment