I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Friday 25 March 2016

Red Prawn Curry Fried Rice ข้าวผัดแกงเผ็ด.




Red Prawn Curry Fried Rice.

A modern dish combining two very famous Thai dishes into a delicious and complete dinner that doesn't require much work. All the delicious comforting flavours of a Thai curry that you can eat in front of the telly.

In a large wok, stir fry
-1 carrot, cut into chunks,
-1 onion, finely chopped,
-pinch of salt.
Cook, stirring until the vegetables have softened, add
-1 1/2 tbsp Thai red curry paste,
Stir to combine, add
-100g raw prawns,
Cook, stirring until the prawns are almost cooked through, add
-500g cooked rice,
-1tbsp soy sauce.
Cook, stirring to coat the rice in the curry paste, add
-150g cooked frozen peas and sweet corn.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Serve with a fried egg (spicy Thai dishes are normally served with egg of some kind to balance the spiciness).

No comments:

Post a Comment