I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Wednesday 2 March 2016

Courgette Puff Pie and Mackerel Puff Pie.



Courgette Puff Pie and Mackerel Puff Pie.

This is perfect when you are catering for both meat eaters and vegetarians as almost all ingredients are shared.

In a large frying pan, fry
-350g chopped leeks, with
-350g sliced courgettes,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring until the leeks have softened and slightly caramelised.
Add 1 tbsp chopped parsley. Stir and turn off the heat.

Line 2 large oven trays with baking paper.
Place 250g puff pastry on each.
Spoon 1/2 of the leeks on to 1 pastry.
Add 150g flaked smoked mackerel.
Dollop 100g cottage cheese on the pie.
Top with 100g grated cheese.

Spoon the rest of the leeks along with the courgettes on the other pastry (this is the vegetarian pie).
Dollop 100g cottage cheese on the vegetarian pie.
Top with 100g grated cheese.

Bake in 200c fan forced oven for around 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Cool on rack for 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment