I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 19 March 2016

Hot and Sour Chicken ต้มแซบไก่บ้าน



Hot and Sour Chicken Soup ต้มแซบไก่บ้าน.

This medicinal, hot and spicy soup is what I crave when I don't feel well. There are so many different varieties of herbs and vegetables in it that it's bound to make you feel better. It's called a soup but eaten as a curry, so serve with some steaming hot rice and get better.

In a large stock pot, add 
-2 litres pork stock (I happened to have some but water or chicken stock is fine)
-6cm sliced galangal, with
-6 sliced chillies,
-1 large sliced onions,
-3 cloves crushed garlic,
-a small bunch coriander,
-1 stalk bruised lemongrass,
-4-5 kaffir lime leaves,
-3 tomatoes, thickly sliced,
-1tsp tamarind purée.
-1tsp salt.
Bring up to the boil.

(I used 4 free range chicken thigh fillets. I removed the skin and bones and thickly sliced the chicken).

Add
-chicken bones (this gives the soup added flavours, just discard them before serving)
Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, add
-chicken strips.
Leave to simmer for 30 minutes, add
-150g sliced mushrooms,
-2 sliced spring onions.
Leave to simmer until the mushrooms are cooked through. 
Taste and adjust the seasoning. You may need,
-fish sauce,
-lime juice,
-1tsp chilli oil (optional)
Sprinkle over some fresh coriander to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment