I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 15 September 2016

Wonton with Chilli Oil.


Wonton with Chilli Oil.

Every time I go out for Chinese food I will ask for chilli oil to dip or spice up my food. Most of the time the chilli oil is just oily and without much heat. My homemade version is definitely HOT HOT HOT! I am teaming this hot, smoky and spicy concoction with some delicate pork wontons. The chilli oil is delicious and versatile and I have a few recipes planned.

   For the wonton.
You will need around 43 wonton wrappers (10x10cm)

   Pork filling.
In a large bowl, put in
-20 dry Shitake mushrooms, add
-cold water.
Leave aside for 30 minutes to soften.
But substitute with 100g fresh chestnut mushrooms if you prefer.

In a separate large bowl, put in
-850 mince pork,
-2tbsp finely chopped or grated ginger,
-2 large finely chopped or grated garlic cloves,
-2 finely sliced spring onions,
-1 finely chopped carrots (100g)
-2tbsp oyster sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-1tbsp sesame oil.
Add
-chopped Shitake or chestnut mushrooms.
Mix gently to combine.
Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

 To assemble.
Mix 1tbsp of plain flour with 1-2tbsp cold water, this will be the paste that will glue the edges together.
Place a heaped tablespoonful of pork filling in the centre of the wrapper.
Brush the edges with the flour paste.
Fold diagonally.

Steam, in batches, for 6 minutes.
Serve with the chilli oil.

   Chilli oil.

In a bowl, put in
-80g chilli flakes,
-2tsp sea salt,
-1tbsp balsamic vinegar.
Leave aside.

In a saucepan, put in
-200ml groundnut oil,
-7-8 cloves
-2 star anise,
-1 stick cinnamon,
-1tbsp peppercorns.
Bring up to a gentle boil.
Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and leave to simmer for 45 minutes.
Leave to cool for 30 minutes.
Drain and discard the spices.
Pour over the chilli flakes.
Stir well.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
The chilli oil should last at least 2 weeks in the fridge.

Note: if you have any pork filling left...Roll them into meatballs, steam and serve them along side the wontons.

No comments:

Post a Comment