I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Sunday 18 September 2016

Barbecue Hoisin Ribs.



Barbecue Hoisin Ribs.

Twice cooked meaty British pork ribs for maximum flavour and tenderness. I've started the cooking process on the hob, seasoned generously with herbs and vegetables. I, then, marinated the cooled ribs overnight with sweet and savoury hoisin and finished on the barbecue. The end result is sweet, smoky and falling off the bone ribs. These ribs are definitely kid friendly and proved very popular at my daughter's birthday party.

In a large stock pot, put in
-3 litres water,
-2kg pork ribs,
-2 celery stalks, cut into chunks,
-2 carrots cut, into chunks,
-1 large onion,
-2 cloves crushed garlic,
-2cm sliced ginger,
-4-5 sprigs coriander,
-2tsp salt,
-3tbsp soy sauce.
Leave to simmer for about 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer into a large oven tray, add
-150g hoisin sauce,
-2tbsp soy sauce,
-2tbsp oyster sauce.
Mix well and leave to marinate, at least an hour.
Finish on the barbecue.

No comments:

Post a Comment