I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 29 September 2016

Stir Fried Prawns in Black Bean Sauce.


Stir Fried Prawns in Black Bean Sauce.


Healthy, delicious, quick and easy weeknight meal. The sweet juicy prawns have been stir fried in rich, savoury and salty black bean sauce. I have added my own Thai twist, to this very Chinese dish, with the inclusion of chillies and generous amount of garlic. I have thrown in some vegetables for extra crunch and fresh sweetness. The prawns are definitely not lost or swamped by these big and bold flavours, they are still beautifully sweet and delicate.


For the prawns.

600g shelled and de-veined.


The paste.

In a pestle and mortar, pound

-2tsp peppercorns,

-5 red chillies,

-4 cloves garlic.

Pound well to combine.

Leave aside.


For the sauce.

In a bowl, put in

-1tbsp fermented black soya beans,

-1tbsp soy sauce,

-1tbsp oyster sauce,

-1tbsp Shaoxing rice wine,

-1/2tsp caster sugar,

-150ml chicken stock or water.

Mix well and leave aside.


The Vegetables.

-1 sliced onion,

-1 sliced pepper,

-250 bok choy (separate leaves from stems)


In a wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, stir fry

-the paste.

Cook, stirring for 30 seconds or so, add

-the vegetables (not the bok choy leaves).

Cook, stirring to coat the vegetables in the paste, add

-the sauce.

Bring the sauce up to the boil, add

-the prawns.

Stir fry until the prawns are almost cooked through, add

-bok choy leaves.

Continue to cook until the prawns are cooked through.


Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment