I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 12 September 2016

Pork Jungle Curry แกงป่าหมู.



Pork Jungle Curry แกงป่าหมู.

This curry is so named as it originated in the jungles of Northern Thailand. Forget red or green curries, they pale in comparison to this intensely fiery curry. Jungle curries are meant to be so hot as to make a grown man weep. The curry contains ingredients found on the the jungles' floors and any type of meats obtained. The curry is now very popular throughout Thailand and is made from mainstream proteins. My pork curry is to replace the wild boar version and I have added my very own Western jungle vegetable....courgettes.

In a large saucepan, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry
-400g sliced pork, with
-50g jungle curry paste,
-good pinch of salt.
Cook, stirring constantly until the pork is well coated in the curry paste, add
-250ml stock,
-100g Thai aubergines (eggplants),
-300g sliced bamboo shoots,
-200g sliced courgettes (zucchini),
-4-5 red chillies 
Cover with a lid and leave to cook for 10 minutes or so, add
-a handful of Thai basil.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment