I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 10 September 2016

Brioche Pudding.



Brioche Pudding.

This old fashioned English pudding has been given a French twist with buttery brioche. In my attempt to cut down on the calories, I've decided not to add butter to this pudding but feel free if you are so obliged. A creamy and stodgy pudding and is very welcoming on a wet day like today. I have injected some freshness into this rich pudding by serving it along side some strawberries, my daughter and her friend were making all kinds of approving noises.

   For the custard.
In large bowl, put in
-180g caster sugar,
-6 eggs,
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Whisk well to combine, add
-500ml full fat milk.
Whisk gently to combine.

   For the brioche buns.
In a 2 litre capacity ceramic oven dish, put in
350g brioche buns, split in half.
Pour over the custard mixture.
Push gently with a wooden spoon to help the bread soak up the liquid.
Leave aside for 20 minutes or so.
Sprinkle over 2tbsp Demerara sugar.

Bake in 160c fan forced oven for 40 minutes.
Serve with fresh fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment