I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 22 September 2016

Seared scallops with Broad Bean and Mustard Sauce.


Seared scallops with Broad Bean and Mustard Sauce.

Scallops are sweet and delicate but they go well with strong and robust flavours. I am serving these smoky and buttery pan seared scallops with a rich and punchy mustard sauce. The broad beans provide creamy sweet freshness, if you are not a fan, pea or corn purée would work beautifully. A perfect dinner party starter.

Serves 2 (as a starter).

   For the broad beans.
300g broad beans.
Cook, drain, remove the outer shell.

   For the scallops.
250g scallops, seasoned with salt and pepper.

  For the mustard sauce.
-1tbsp wholegrain mustard,
-1tbsp capers,
-1tbsp water,
-1tbsp chopped parsley.

In a large saucepan with 2tbsp butter, sear
-the scallops.
Cook for a minute on each side or to your liking.
Remove from the pan, add
-the sauce ingredients,
-salt/pepper.
Cook for a minute or so.
Serve with the scallops and the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment