I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Thursday 15 September 2016

Salt and Pepper Crispy Chicken ไก่คั่วเกลือพริกไทย


Salt and Pepper Crispy Chicken ไก่คั่วเกลือพริกไทย

On such a hot day it's probably not the best time to make this deep fried chicken dish. I can assure sure it's delicious. The crispy chicken is stir fried in aromatic and spicy herbs and spices. I love that the chicken is not submerged in the sauce, perfect with a large helping of rice and spicy wonton soup.

   For the chicken.
In bowl, put in
-500g sliced free range chicken breasts,
-1tsp salt.
Mix well and leave aside.

In a bowl, put in
-100g plain flour,
-1tsp sea salt.
-150ml cold water.
Mix well and leave to refrigerate for 10 minutes or so.
Pour over the chicken and mix well.
Deep fry until golden brown. 
Drain well and leave aside.

In a pestle and mortar, pound
-2tsp peppercorns,
-3 cloves garlic,
-1tsp salt.
Pound well to combine.

   For the vegetables.
-2tbsp chopped coriander,
-2-3 sliced red chillies,
-3 sliced spring onions.

In a wok, with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, fry
-the garlic and pepper mixture.
Cook, stirring constantly for around 10 seconds, add
-cooked crispy chicken,
Stir well to coat the chicken in the spices, add
-the vegetables.
Cook, stirring for another minute or so.

Serve with rice and soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment