I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Saturday 17 September 2016

Borscht.


Borscht.

What a vibrant and beautiful shade of crimson achieved without artificial colours. The homegrown beetroot are incredibly sweet and earthy with a most delicious crunch. This vampire soup should keep you nice and warm on this cold night. Thank you very much gardeners Louise and Dan Wilson for the beet and onions. We love them both!

In a large saucepan, with a tablespoon of olive oil, fry
-3 rashers of bacon, with 
-2 cloves crushed garlic,
Cook, stirring occasionally for 30 seconds or so, add
-1 large sliced onion,
-2 carrots, cut in to chunks,
-2 stalks celery, cut into chunks,
-1 large potato, cut into chunks,
-800g beetroot, cut into 2cm chunks,
-salt/pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally for around 5 minutes, add
-1.3 litres stock.
Leave to cook for around 45 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment