I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Monday 12 September 2016

Chocolate Lava Cakes.


Chocolate Lava Cakes.

I asked the family what they wanted for dessert and they unanimously said oozy chocolate cake. Chocolate lava cakes do have a reputation of being difficult to make but my older daughter made this batch by herself. We think she has achieved a very good ooze.

Equipment:
6x200ml ramekins.

    Preparation:
Melt 30g butter.
Brush the ramekins with the butter. 
Refrigerate until needed.
Don't throw away the leftover butter as you'll need it again later on.

    For the cake.
In a saucepan, put in
-160g chopped butter,
-200g dark chocolate(72% cocoa solids),broken into chunks,
-pinch of salt,
Cook, stirring, on low heat until the ingredients have melted and the mixture is smooth. 
Leave aside and get on with the next stage.

In a large bowl, whisk 
-4 eggs with
-160g caster sugar, 
-1tsp vanilla bean paste.
Sift in,
-200g plain flour. 
Stir to combine. 
Gently fold in,
-chocolate mixture, a 1/3 at a time.
Transfer into a jug. 

Oven 180c fan forced.

Bring the ramekins out of the fridge.
Brush with reserved melted butter (if it has set, give it a quick blast in the microwave)
Pour in the cake batter.

Bake 14 minutes.

Let the cakes sit for a couple of minutes.
Invert onto the serving plate.
Serve with ice-cream, double cream or fruits.


No comments:

Post a Comment