I get asked quite often why I like to cook. The first reason I give is normally because I like to eat. I am Thai and food is a big factor in our culture. We greet each other with hello followed by 'have you eaten? When guests turn up at your house it's safe to assume that they will expect to be fed.

The second reason is that as I grew up in the Northeastern part of Thailand, the poorest region, food was always hard to come by. We weren't hungry as there was always rice, but it was difficult finding something to go with rice. Now I do have ingredients to go with rice, I want to cook!

Tuesday 6 September 2016

Quail Scotch Eggs.


Quail Scotch Eggs.

These miniature scotch eggs are not only aesthetically beautiful but they are also oil free. I suppose I can't go as far as declaring them healthy but they certainly aren't swimming in oil (cooked in the AirFryer). I am serving mine with a quick vegetable pickle, providing crunch as well as acidity to balance the richness of the eggs. Thank you very much Nicola Cole Weir for the quail eggs. What a lovely surprise on a wet Monday morning.xx

Makes 12.

   For the eggs.
Boil and peel 12 quail eggs.

   For the sausage casings.
In a large bowl, put in
-500g sausage meat,
-150g grated carrots,
-2tbsp chopped parsley
-salt/pepper.
Mix well to combine and divide into 12 equal portions.

   For the breadcrumbs.
Place 200g breadcrumbs on large platter, season with salt/pepper.

Whisk 2 large eggs.

   To assemble.
Encase the egg in the sausage meat.
Drop the eggs into the whisked eggs.
Place on the breadcrumb platter and coat well.
Refrigerator for 20 minutes or so.
Deep fry or cook in the AirFryer at 180c for 10 minutes.

   For the vegetables pickle.
In a large frying pan, with a tablespoon of olive oil, fry
-500g sliced cauliflower, 
-1 chopped onion,
-100g mangetout,
-2 red chillies.
Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables have softened, add
-2tsp paprika,
-2tsp turmeric powder,
-2tsp salt/pepper.
Mix well, add
-300ml malt vinegar,
-3tbsp caster sugar.
Leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and leave for a couple of hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment